Instant Hot Cocoa Mix
It's super easy to blend your own hot cocoa mix. Keep this in a tightly sealed plastic container. Just give the container a couple of firm shakes to re-blend the dry ingredients before using. There is no salt added, making it a healthier choice than store-bought packaged mixes for those wishing to lower their sodium intake.
Servings: 12 mugs of cocoa
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder Recommended: dark chocolate dutch process
- 1 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes
- Dump all the ingredients into a plastic container that has a tight-fitting lid. Secure lid, and shake to blend ingredients. That's it!
- To make a cup of hot cocoa, fill your mug halfway with boiling water. Shake the dry mix container to re-distribute all the ingredients. Add three heaping tablespoons of cocoa mix to your mug, and stir till blended. Fill the rest of your mug with boiling water.
- Improvisation is encouraged. Cinnamon can be added to the dry mix. If your diet allows milk, a dollop of whipped cream on top of your mug is delicious. You could also substitute milk for the second addition of boiling water. Stir your drink with a candy cane. Have fun!